Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Job Hazards

Yesterday Yannette told me that I too should start a blog. A blog?!? What on earth would I write about? (Well, I have lots to write about but not much that anyone would actually want to read, that is why I have a journal!) So I dismissed the idea. Who would have thought that within 24 hours I too might have stories that others might want to read.

This morning started like every other, I was running late. I couldn't find my car keys and I had to do my makeup in the car. I finally pull into the parking lot at work, throw on some mascara, grab my "teaching bag" (yes, I have a teaching bag) and head towards my classroom. Anyone who has ever stepped onto a middle school campus knows that before the first bell rings the quad is an utter zoo. Anyone over the age of 13 avoids this area at any cost - even the campus supervisors avoid it if they can. With much on my mind and just a few minutes before the bell is going to ring I decide to chance it and am quickly swallowed up in a crowd of 12 year olds.

I almost made it safely to my classroom door when 1 student starts an all-out-drag-out fight. He is punching a kid like his life depended on it. I (stupidly) step over to try and stop it and without touching the kid (touching a student- even if it is in an effort to save another students life- is a great way to get sued) tell him to stop it. Before I even knew what hit me, I was hit in the stomach! I have been punched by a student- my first injury as a teacher! Does that make me a real teacher now?

1 comment:

MattW said...

Dude, that's retarded that you can't touch the kid or you'll get sued, but if the kid hits you then tough, suck it up. You shoulda laid down the law on that kid's ass with your foot.


Favorite Books

  • Barrington Family Saga
  • Anita Stansfield...anything by her
  • Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
  • Deep Blue Eyes and Other Lies
  • Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher